Saturday, May 30, 2020

Another Update

I've been very busy in the quilt room!  I have  5 large quilt tops waiting to be quilted - I've been working on using up just scraps from other quilts - not even touching my stash yet.
This is the latest one - I used up the 16 patches I've been making over the years with leftover 2-1/2" squares.
So, now that I have a plan, I'm actually back to making quilts for the homeless - but not back to doing them as a group.
A really good friend's mom passed away and she was a quilter, so she needed to pass on her fabric stash.  Two friends and I decided we'd make lap quilts for nursing homes to honor Lori's mom.  We picked up the fabric yesterday (I was thinking 1 big bin full) - NOT!
These are the bins I brought home (and the other two also took home as many bins).  They are stuffed with fabric -- mostly sorted into plaids, lights, darks, fall, etc.  So, I will be making more homeless quilts as well as lap quilts - and the goal is to use it all up while also working on using up my scraps, this year! 
Probably the only good thing that has come out of this lockdown - I've put a lot of mileage on my Janome 9450 - which is my new machine, so I'm learning as I go!  I'm also buying the backing fabric as I go to continue supporting our quilt stores that were forced to shut down also.  And I have to say, it's a lot more fun using my own scraps and I'm sure using Barb's stash, than it was to use donated fabric that was dark and ugly, plus I had to piece together smaller pieces to make backings for the homeless quilts.  I think that was part of the reason I got overwhelmed - too much dark and ugly and I hated having to piece the backings from multiple fabrics.  Now I buy 4 yards of sale fabric and it looks so much better.  And, my friends will mostly be making lap quilts, so they will be quilting those themselves.  Means a lot less stress for all of us.
Until next time....blessings.

No comments :