Friday, December 22, 2017

Goals

Last night I went to AJ's junior high basketball game - one of the reasons I moved up here! Only takes about 15 minutes to get home afterwards and I get to see all three boys usually.
Another reason:
Not the tree - the presents under it.  Steph and I used to wrap presents every year while we watched Die Hard!  Traditional Christmas movie!  Haven't done it in years, and yesterday afternoon we did!  Gifts are for all four kids from me. And since I hate shopping, I just gave Steph the money and she did the shopping all online!  She knows what the kids want and the sizes to buy!
So, speaking of Steph, she was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Her doctor did not put her on any med at the moment -- just some stretching exercises and a muscle relaxer that he prescribed a couple of weeks ago.  It's to help her sleep at night.  I remember a friend from guild years ago was finally diagnosed after many doctors and lots of pain.  She researched everything and read a book called, "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia".  I contacted Joyce and she pointed me in the right directions -- there is a website, an online group, and of course the book.
Joyce followed the protocol exactly and after many years of suffering, she is symptom free.
So, I'm reading the book and have ordered one for Steph. We shall go through this together.  (I was amazed that her doctor told her this is an inherited disease - makes me think all those pains I have may not just be arthritis.)
Anyway - back to the Subject line!  Goals:
Starting Dec. 26 - the day after Christmas, because why wait till the new year?!  I'm going back to exercising (I haven't walked or exercised in over a month).  Lori and Nancy and I started last spring walking in the mornings.  Then Nancy had to stop because of back pain.  But Lori and I continued up until I moved.  I also cut sugar from my diet and was losing weight -- and feeling a lot better - pretty sure it was the sugar!  Nancy's on a low sodium diet, I'm going back off sugar and keeping it low fat, so we're going to try exchanging recipes whenever we find something that is easy to make and follows the low sodium, sugar, fat requirements and we're going to keep ourselves accountable as to exercising - either reporting our steps for the day, or time of walking, or exercising.  I'm reporting mine here -- just to keep myself accountable!  If you want to join us - weigh yourself in the morning of the 26th (do not report your weight -- that's your business), but its the best way to keep yourself aware.  We'll announce our progress once a month.  And if you have any good recipes, please feel free to share them here!

Until next time....Merry Christmas and Blessings to all.
 

1 comment :

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I hope you have a Merry Christmas. How wonderful that you can go back to your holiday traditions, and am taking charge of your health. I have been exercising, but I do need to work on my diet. It is so easy to get sidetracked and veer to processed, convenience foods.