Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Plan

I think for the past few years I've been overwhelmed - not just by life, but by the sheer magnitude of fabric and projects I have started, or planned to start, etc.  You all know how it is - so much fabric and still you buy more- enough that we all say we'll never use it all.  For awhile I quit buying fabric except for specific quilts or projects.  I also stopped buying books and patterns and kits.  I had so much of everything, I couldn't make a decision what to work on.  And then my friend Kris thinks its fun to challenge everyone to do a certain block, or quilt or whatever.  And that's all well and good, but I never got the chance to work on my own projects.  So I finally started ignoring her challenges, but I also got involved with my church group making homeless quilts, so my own things stayed hidden away!

Fast forward to this past weekend:  A couple of friends from the homeless quilt group dropped off the latest bunch of quilts (49 - for a total of 62) we made this year for the homeless.  And then we went to a little quilt show put on by the local quilt guild.  Vendor mall was fun, even though, as usual, I didn't need anything!  And one of my favorite quilt stores, Quilters General Store, which is only about 2 minutes from my house, was vending.  My friend, Nancy has been talking about doing the Lucy Boston quilt for awhile and I listened, but didn't get caught up by it, until QGS had a few little kits for this quilt.  Nancy suckered me right in!  This is a completely hand made elongated hexagon quilt.  And no, I don't need another hand project, especially since I'm still in a cast!  But QGS showed us a new technique using a glue stick instead of English Paper Piecing:

It actually hurts my hand because I have to turn it to hold the pieces while I glue, and it rubs the cast which doesn't turn, but I have managed to glue a couple of these blocks.  I'll stitch them together when I finally get the cast off.  There are 24 pieces to each block, and 24 background hexes around each block and there are 56 blocks, not counting the pieced squares of cornerstones!  I think I'm crazy, but I'm going to attempt to work on one of these blocks every chance I get.

Until next time...blessings.  

No comments :