Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cooky Day

Yesterday was Cooky Day at Steph's. The forecast in Illinois when I left in the morning was for 1 to 2 inches of snow; in Wisconsin, it was 1 - 3" of snow. I got there about ten a.m. This first picture is of AJ and Briana decorating a pan of sugar cookies before baking. The big plate of sugar cookies in the foreground are awaiting frosting and more decorating. AJ gets tired of decorating, so he goes and plays and helps Daddy clean the basement and plays and comes back and decorates a cooky and plays, etc., etc.

Grandma had baby duty. And AJ wanted Grandma to play "pirates" with him, so Will and I played pirates with AJ for awhile. (That's AJ's pirate ship in the picture!) Will is 5 months old today and he's cutting teeth on the bottom, so Grandma got drooled on a lot! It was a wonderful day.



I left to go home at 3 p.m. The revised forecast for Illinois was 4 - 7 inches and Wisconsin was 5-8". The two highways in Wisconsin -- 12 and 43 were what is known as "snow covered and hazardous"! Lots of cars in ditches, lots of police trying to help people. I got in a line of cars that was at least 20 cars long and mostly the top speed on 12 was 35 mph. On 43, we sometimes made it to 45 mph! By the time I hit I90, I was pretty much white-knuckled --- some idiot pickup driver passed the line of cars and he had to have been going 70 mph. God forgive me, but I was hoping he'd land in the ditch ahead, but I didn't see him. I90 was mostly just wet -- the plows and salt trucks had definitely been on top of things there. We even got it up to 60 mph! Back down to the 50's and below for the rest of the way home, though. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes to get home, which I thought was pretty good since it's normally a 1-1/2 hour trip anyway. We got about 6 inches of snow last night. It was still a fun day spending time with the grandkids -- hadn't seen them in about 3-1/2 weeks.

Gratitudes:
Making it home safely in the snow
Grandkids -- nothing better in life

3 comments :

Melanie said...

We're somehow missing all the snow storms of late....oh well, we'll get our turn. Don't forget the choco chips on the cookies--- my favorite... Enjoy the kids, they grow so fast.

~Bren~ said...

What a wonderful day with the kids...we stayed in!
I love your Christmas Stars quilt!

Carol E. said...

Great day with the grandkids! I can hear how much fun you have being the grandma. I hope to join the ranks some day... too early in my kids' lives for now.