Wednesday, November 14, 2007

If it isn't one thing, it's another....

I'm in "getting ready for Thanksgiving" mode here. This means lots of cleaning, lots of food buying and prepping (later this week). So, Monday I'm doing laundry and my regular house cleaning and the central vac decides to die. Admittedly, I am spoiled rotten and the central vac is one of those things that has spoiled me. We had it installed when we built the house back in '93/'94. It is only 13 years old, but it has gotten plenty used in those 13 years. Anyway, it sounds like a bearing in the motor, so I'm sure it'll cost a fortune to get fixed and they will probably recommend we replace it -- and you know they no longer make that model, so the whole system will have to be replaced. Not happening any time soon around here. So, yesterday I went out and bought the Consumer Reports "Best Buy" upright vacuum at Sears on sale for $50 less than usual. I have an upright vacuum here that does only carpet, but I needed a good vac for hardwood and tile floors and this one was the most highly rated. Today I spent most of the day vacuuming all three floors of this house and washing the tile floors. After the holidays I need to spend a lot more time on my floors, but this will get me through the holidays anyway. And on being spoiled by the central vac -- I only have to drag around a 30 foot hose and the floor or carpet attachment. With the upright, I have to drag the whole thing around and find outlets for the plug and try to keep the cord out from under the machine -- talk about being all thumbs today. Hopefully I'll get used to it after a few more cleaning sessions!

My sanity saver today:
I spent a bit more than 15 minutes sewing the first two strips of scrappy basketweave blocks onto the papers I had already cut. I hope to work at least 15 minutes a day on these after I finish my "have to get done" stuff!

Gratitudes:
Being able to buy the exact model of vac I wanted without settling for something else (and having it on sale!).
Lists and plans
Scratching the "itch to stitch"!

No comments :