Monday, February 27, 2006

Striving for Peace

My husband gave me his definition of panic this morning: (probably should tell you that in a former life he was Mgr of Engineering for a division of Borg Warner -- long since retired -- we built this log home 12 years ago on 23 acres, 12 of which are wooded -- he has spent much time each year out cleaning up the woods of underbrush and downed trees and will probably finish the job this year - at which time he will plant more evergreens!) Anyway -- he works outside in all kinds of weather and always wears bib overalls. His idea of panic happened a few days ago after being out in the woods in the 20° weather. He came in with a full bladder and his zipper pull was stuck in that spot at the top up under the placket. After working very hard and finally getting the pull loose, he discovered he'd put his longjohns on backward that morning! We both laughed til we cried!

I guess it's been this crazy month, but I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I've begun to realize that I cannot possibly read everyone's blog every day -- I have a few must reads and the rest I try to get to when I can. I don't always comment when I read either. Just know that I do think about you'all and try to get to you when I can.
I spent some time on the phone with a friend last night -- she has had some bad news in her family and this whole month seems like someone in my family or my friends' families have had something going on. We did come to the conclusion that our lives could be a whole lot worse and we should be very thankful for what we do have. One of the blogs I try to read most of the time is Jeanne's at Spiral because I always feel peaceful when I leave! She may have chaos in her life like the rest of us, but my perception of Jeanne is serene -- her daily blog and gratitudes always leave me with a good feeling! So, I'm going to take a page from her book and add my own gratitudes now and then and I'm going to strive for peace in my daily life! I'm going to start back reading "Simple Steps" again too -- I get the same feeling of serenity from that book! Their website is: www.reflectionsdiet.com

Today I finally went to the local library and got my library card -- yes, we've lived here 12 years and I never bothered to get a card -- and the library is very nice! I checked out 3 books on tape/cd and started listening to "My Antonia" by Willa Cather today. The reader (can't remember his name at this moment) sounds like my brother-in-law Dean. I swear I can see Dean sitting there reading this book. I checked out an eclectic selection. In addition to "My Antonia", I also have "That Cat That Could See Red" - by you know who (it is so annoying to forget these things), and the third is "Predator" by Patricia Cornwell! I'm hoping to check out more of the classics in the future too -- it's a great way to read one of those that put me to sleep when I'm looking at the words! vbg

Gratitudes:

1. Bill's sense of humor.
2. The laundry room right outside the bedroom door on the 2nd floor.
3. Homemade Reuben sandwiches.
4. The woodburning fireplace next to the kitchen table, with a fire going every day.
5. Bill getting over his cold (even though he gave it to me).

6 comments :

Finn said...

Hi Joanne, high fives for the UFO's finished!! Yes, it does seem that Feb. could be an easier month than it is..but such is life.
You've hit that same place I did awhile back...something has to give with the mavericks and stash web rings big as they've gotten. You can't get to them all, read, comment, do your own blog and still accomplish something every day. I totally hear your message..*VBS* I'll be back, passing through every day or two..keep up the great work, and I'll see ya when I see you..Hugs, Finn P.S> The story from Bill? Just too funny...LOL

Jeanne said...

{{{Joanne}}}
I love Willa Cather!
Jeanne :)

Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like you live on about the same type of land as we do. My husband and I have such a great time cleaning up the downed trees and branches and having roaring slash piles. I don't know if we'll ever get it all done, but we'll have fun trying. The overall story is hysterical!

Patti said...

Thanks for the great laugh Joanne - not sure if your husband will appreciate us laughing at his expense. Just don't tell him!

The Calico Cat said...

A. The hubby story is PRICELESS!
B. This works for me when my time is really short - read the blogs of those who leave you a comment... But you will fall into what works for you.

Cher said...

I am with you-read but not always leave a comment...and if a few days go by without reading..hopefully that means I am busy quilting! thanks for sharing what has been going on with you, funny stories of the people we live with are always great to read/hear...