Sunday, January 01, 2017

New Year's Goals

The quilters at church met on Friday.  We sewed, or cut fabric, most of the day.  This stack is a bunch of backing fabric donated by one of the quilters.  We will use all of this for backings for the homeless quilts we make.
And this stack is 4 tops that one of the quilters pieced at home and brought in.  What we work on at church, we finish at home, and  bring them in each Sunday for me to quilt.  So far, we have 10 finished 60" x 80" quilts for the homeless, and 5 kids quilts, although we've already donated a couple of kids quilts this week.  We save them all up until October and distribute all at the same time.

So, I'm a good one for making New Year's Resolutions and of course forgetting them or giving up, come April or so!  This year I'm going to do something different.  I'm going to make monthly goals.  A couple of friends from church and I are doing a scripture-based diet this year - hoping we'll keep each other honest and work toward our own individual goals.  So, in keeping with that, my January goal is to walk for 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.  I'd like to say I'll strive for 10k steps a day, but maybe I'll get closer to that goal later in the year.  For now, it's just trying to get 30 minutes of walking in 5 days a week.

My next goal is to clean out the freezer, fridge and pantry -- by eating what I have accumulated! A veritable Fridge Buffet (love that phrase coined by Kathy H.!)  I will be buying groceries, of course, but I'll be trying to use up what I have, so only buy whatever beans I need for my chili, for instance.  And coming up with different meals from what canned goods and freezer food I already have.  I'm going to print out both of these goals and post them on the fridge to remind myself every day.

And quilt goals:  I'm going to continue to cut fabrics and make kits for our quilters to use to make homeless quilts.  I spent most of December doing this, and can see an end to the donated fabric that is not really great quilt fabric, but good enough to use up.  After all that donated fabric is used, I will be using my own stash, as have our quilters that piece the quilts at home.  They have used lots of the donated stuff, plus fabric that was donated to them, and now we're all starting to use good quality quilting fabric.  I will post this goal in my sewing room.  I ordered a new die today for the Go Big die cutter -- a tumbling block die -- so I'll be cutting into some kids fabric and make a couple of kits from that.  We need a variety of patterns to keep everyone interested!

So, there are my goals for January 2017.   Hopefully I can report progress at the end of the month!
Until next time....blessings.


No comments :