Saturday, February 01, 2014

Ideas

So, until the basement is finished, and I've gotten everything unpacked and put away, there's not a lot of quilting going on around here!
Before I covered the longarm in anticipation of the work being done in the basement, I was quilting a few quilts for the homeless.  My church has taken on the project of making quilts for the homeless in our area - and it's sad to say there are plenty in need and this has been a particularly cold, snowy winter besides.  There are a few quilters in the church, and the congregation has been donating fabrics as well as the quilters themselves and some of the quilt shops too.  I have a large collection of backing fabrics too that were donated.  I did manage to get 9 quilts quilted before the basement was started.  After that, I have managed to piece two more and I think the quilters have another 6 waiting for me to quilt them.

I also have (somewhere!), a lot of scraps that I intend to put to good use in making more quilts for the homeless.  With that in mind, I was playing a bit in EQ7 today and came up with a simple design for a 12" square block.  I have some jelly rolls which are 2-1/2" strips and I intend to use them to make these scrappy blocks: 
And a possible setting would be this one:  Although -- I didn't recolor the block, I would make the quilt much more scrappy -- the rail fence look of the sashing would probably get lost in the actual quilt.  I think this would be a good leader/ender project as well.
Can you tell I'm itching to get stitching?

Until next time....blessings.

No comments :