Wednesday, August 05, 2009


Not much quilting getting done around here. But for the past week or so, I had been hoping to get some outside work done. So, Monday, after walking 3-1/2 miles at the Forest Preserve trails in the morning, then cleaning house, I decided to power wash the front porch again. I took the screens down and washed them and then did the porch and washed the windows too. Finished the job except for putting the screens back in. By this time it was almost 3 pm and I was more than ready for a shower. Before I went upstairs to take said shower, I went out to put the screens back in. I heard Bill calling from a ways off.
Bill had been mowing lawn, first with the lawn tractor, then with the big farm tractor -- he does the deep ditch across the road with the big tractor and the perimeter areas of the corn fields and the lane, etc. At first I thought he was calling JR, but JR was in the front yard looking at me and trying to figure out where Bill was, too. Finally, I heard Bill say my name and looked out through the trees and saw the small front wheel of the tractor sticking above the ditch across the road. (It's really a steep incline).

I took off running and as I got across the street and could see Bill pinned beneath the tractor, a car went by and I flagged them down (had no idea who they were). They stopped and the wife called 911 on her cell and the husband pulled a pad from his trunk to hold above Bill to shade him from the sun. Bill was lying face down on the ground with the steering wheel of his Allis Chalmers pinning his left leg to the ground. Keep in mind that my husband is 83 years old!
I know where God was on Monday -- out on a rural road outside of Byron, IL! The very excellent Byron Fire Department came in this order: 1st the chief in his car, followed immediately by the asst. chief in his car, two fire trucks and the ambulance, then the chaplain in his own car (and at that time they cancelled the LifeLine Helicopter because Bill was breathing and talking), and then a county sheriff's deputy arrived and in between all matter of friends, neighbors and passersby. There had to be at least a dozen firemen on the job between the trucks and the ambulance. They managed to use their extrication equipment to lift the tractor enough to cut the steering wheel and free Bill and get him into the ambulance.

So...the rest of Monday and all of Tuesday was spent at the hospital; they took x-ray after x-ray and ct scans right and left (and reported to me that yes, in fact, he does have a brain); he spent the night in the hospital, they did more x-rays and the upshot is...he has no broken bones. He is bruised, has a black eye on the left side as well as bruises on the left side of his face, and an huge bruise on his hip, which is the sorest part, even though the steering wheel pinned him just behind his left knee. The numerous xrays were because they kept seeing something on his femur, but finally determined it was an old injury (and Bill can only remember hurting that leg when he played high school football!). They sent him home yesterday with a walker and instructions not to put any weight on the leg. He's really sore, but really thankful he's alive, plus he feels really stupid! He's mowed that area countless times in the past 15 years and for some reason as he was on the slope, he turned down instead of up and knew immediately it was going over -- he attempted to jump off and that's probably what kept him from being crushed by the wheels, but he did get caught by the steering wheel. Today he switched to the crutches we have and that works better for staying off the leg than the walker. Thankfully, the bath on the main floor has a shower without a tub, so it's easier to access, and Kevin brought the shower chair out today so he can sit while he showers.

Sew... why am I showing pictures of the porch? Because today I went back and rewashed the windows and finally put the screens back! And I haven't gone out to look at the tractor yet. Our friend and neighbor righted it Monday afternoon and managed to haul it back to the shed. He and Bill will work on repairing it (one wheel is broken and the steering column and wheel needs to be replaced, along with the seat and who know what else!) when Bill feels up to it. And you know he'll be back out there mowing as soon as he can! And me... I'd settle for calmer times and maybe taking a stitch or two on one of my projects.

Obviously, I am so grateful he wasn't hurt worse or killed.
The Byron Fire Department -- they've been called out here at least a half dozen times -- usually for Bill's heart problems. They are totally professionals and I am very thankful we have them available.
The couple that stopped when I flagged them down -- they told me their names, but I can't for the life of me remember them -- but I am forever grateful they stopped.
Neighbors and friends.
Family -- the boys and their wives came to the hospital when I called and Steph was ready to drive all the way down with Will in tow, but we insisted she not come.
The staff at the hospital -- the trauma crew were not only efficient, but had a great sense of humor too.


StitchinByTheLake said...

Praises to our Father for His help with your husband and for providing such wonderful assistance! I know it had to have frightened you to death - it would have me. Thank goodness all is well. blessings, marlene

Melody said...

Wow! I'm so glad that everything turned out okay. What a blessing!

Mary said...

I'm so glad he's OK...this is one of those accidents that you feel so fortunate that things weren't a lot worse.

Carolyn said...

Thank God you heard him yelling! I'm so glad that he escaped with only bumps and bruises. How scary for both of you!

Gail said...

Sounds like God had a whole army of angels along with him. I'm so happy that the outcome was such a good one,and that you never fail to recognize and count your blessings. I need to follow your example more often.

Jeanne said...

I'm so happy your post had a good ending. God was indeed watching out for your hubby and guiding those who helped him.

Annie said...

Oh my, what a frightening experience, so glad all was not worse.

I have a hubby who uses a large tractor and I'm always whining at him about the dangers of just your dh's incident. Of course he poo poo's any such happening!

All the best to you and your dh.

: )

Mary said...

oh dear. Was so glad that the story came out well. Keep that boy quiet for a while. And I'm saying a special thank you for your guardian angels. We were by your town today. It seemed like after all the nonsense of the wedding preparations and busy weekend that we were recovered. And that dinner at White pines lodge would be a wonderful thing.
And it was *big grin*

Candace said...

So happy that it wasn't worse. God was with you both as you pointed out.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is always good to have a happy ending. Sorry about the tractor, but that is minimal compared to your DH's health. Accidents happen - I bet he is just kicking himself for turning the wrong way. Lucky that you were home and outside to hear him call too!!

Linda_J said...

Thank goodness, that story had a happy ending. Very frightening for all concerned at the time but with the help of the emergency crews and the passerby's----wow!

I am writing in response to a comment you left on my pal Cher's blog about "she should make a whole quilt" of that appliqued house block. THX! I DID offer to make Cher one but she said she was happy with her original request.

I just wish I had had my machine at the time to do the buttonhole applique as it was tough sledding through all those layers by hand! I found the pattern on the Mary Engelbreit site as a hot pad and bumped it up to block size with some re-sizing software I have installed. I blogged about it HERE but looks like the link is no longer active or I goofed in posting it in some way.

FUN block and I may make one for Pam in the ME colors and fabric as she is really the one of us who loves all things from Mary Engelbreit! A couple of my quilt group members liked it too but I don't think I will go into the appliqued block business, LOL.

Nines said...

shew! What a tale! So glad he is alright and hopefully mending well by now.