Monday, March 09, 2009

Creative Day

Every March, on the first Saturday, a friend organizes what is known as "Creative Day". Byron Forest Preserve District has a really nice facility known as the Prairie Center and they rent out rooms to whomever needs them. The room we rent every year is on the main floor, very large with windows on two sides looking out over the prairie trails. It also has a small kitchen. They provide as many tables as we need and there are outlets all along the walls. It is an invitation only get-together and I think there were about 25 there this year. Melody (the lady that organizes everything) brings barbecue in a crockpot and the rest of us bring every manner of other goodies. Basically, we gnosh all day. Some of us quilt, some knit, some do cross stitch and some do scrapbooking, hence the name -- creative. Mel's been doing this for about 8 years or more. We mark it on our calendars and make sure we plan for it every year! It was held this past Saturday. I brought my featherweight and a whole bag full of fabrics already cut into strips and a bag of 6-1/2" dog blocks. These dog blocks were given to me at least 5 years ago by Kris and another friend, Deb. I ran across them a few weeks ago and decided I needed to do something with them, so Saturday was the day. I had planned on just making plain sashing strips, but Kris bought the new Quilt World magazine the other day and I found the pattern that was perfect for these blocks. I spent all day putting the top together (I had lots of frog stitching because I was too busy talking!) Today I fixed one block that I had put in wrong and then added the borders. I have enough blocks to make two more of these and I cut the rest of the strips for those today also. They will probably be donation quilts.



Gratitudes:

We had a wonderful time on Saturday, and accomplished a lot, too.

I blew my diet, but got back on the treadmill this morning, so that's a good thing.

Quilting with friends.

5 comments :

Vivian said...

I found your blog in a list of scrap quilters' blogs. Your title caught my attention. Wish I had a porch and wish I had your log cabin. They're only in my dreams. I'm enjoying your observations & comments & photos. The "gratitude" section of your posts is nice. It reminds us no matter how down we are, how yukky the weather, how many seams we had to unstitch -- there are still things to be grateful for. You make great scrap quilts! Your annual "first Sat. in March" gathering sounds like a fantastic event. That's a great tradition & a great way to end a Midwest winter.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely project!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I don't think I've seen sashing done just like this before Joanne but I like it. I can really see this on some fabric I have that needs to be fussy cut. blessings, marlene

Judy D in WA said...

What a great sashing design. This quilt will make someone very happy.

Sounds like you had a very fun day.

Cher said...

oh, what a cute pattern-much more interesting than just putting plain strips around. isn't that great when the timing works out like that!
love your creative day with friends tradition. continue the great efforts towards reducing your weight and exercising-even if it is due to the threat of your health.