Sunday, December 30, 2007

Update

I first want to thank everyone for the prayers -- I can't possibly answer everyone individually right now, but please know they are extremely appreciated and keep them coming.

Steve underwent a 12 hour surgery yesterday. The surgeon removed the entire tumor, but found he also had a ball of arterial/vein something or other (the blood vessels are all wrapped around each other like a ball of rubber bands). She had to remove that and reroute the blood vessels and that necessarily added to the time of the surgery. We are waiting on the pathologist's definitive report -- they may have to send it to Mayo's, which could take up to 3 weeks or more.
He is today in the intensive care unit, sitting up, eating hospital jello (what do they make they stuff from?), talking and in good spirits, trying to watch the Bears game with a parade of people coming in to see him. We were there earlier, will go back later in the day when the parade slows down, hopefully. He has some slight weakness on his left side -- not even noticeable to our untrained eyes, and it should improve. He has two drains in his head which are draining blood. He had a cat scan this morning and the doctor said everything looks really good there. He is expected to be in the intensive care unit for 2 to 3 days, and another 2 or 3 days in the regular surgery unit. However, my son, God bless him, is taking bets on leaving the hospital in the shortest possible time ever recorded! And I don't think the doctor doubts his intentions at all! She is still amazed at how healthy he is otherwise.

That's where we are. I will obviously not be online much at all. I'm setting everything to no-mail and I won't be able to even answer all the emails I've received in the past day, but please know that we really appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts. Thanks.

14 comments :

Patti said...

Oh, I'm so glad the news is so very good. Especially the fact that they got all the tumor. Do you know what type of tumor it was? Seems like I've known so many people who have had brain tumor scares since my sister was the first years ago. The latest before your son was a good friend of my daughters, who has been doing just fine the last year or so. I pray that Steve's recovery continues to be quick and full of positive results.

Granny said...

Joanne, I cannot imagine what you're going through. Sounds like the surgery went remarkably well. I'm praying for positive reports and rapid healing for Steve, as well as peace and comfort for you and the rest of your family.

~Bren~ said...

WONDERFUL news! Praise God!!! Still praying...make sure you take care of yourself too.

Tracy said...

I jut found your post and praise God Steve is doing well. I will continue to pray for quick healing. I will pray for you and your family too. Like Judy said, I can't imagine what you are going through.

Hugs,
Tracy

Carol E. said...

Oh, what an ordeal for you all. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Gail said...

Bigtime Praise! I'm so happy for all of you and will continue praying for complete and rapid recovery. We went through the brain tumor thing more than 30 years ago with my DH, they got all (size of large grapefruit-where does it fit??) of his and he came out in better shape than he went in, may your son do the same!

Elaine Adair said...

Excellent news - amazing surgeons skills, - prayers must be working. May the progress continue, until he is back to his ole self!

Angie said...

Oh Joanne, I'm so happy for all of you for these initial results! I can only repeat what JudyL said, and I'm sending quilted hugs to wrap you all in.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Joanne, my prayers for you and your family. What a terrible, hard thing to go through. Here's wishes for the best!

Kathy said...

Wonderful News -- Praise the Lord!

Carolyn said...

What wonderful news! I'll continue to pray for Steve and his family, you and his doctors. I'm delighted to hear he's doing so well!

Carol said...

That is the very best news...thank you for the update and my thoughts will continue for all of you.

Laurie Ann said...

So glad to hear that it is all going well so far. I'll definately add him to my prayer list!!

Kristie said...

Just know that we are still praying for your family. I hope all continues to go well. Take Care.
Kristie