Saturday, December 01, 2007

Organization and finishes





I finished the second tablerunner and one candle mat yesterday. That's the extent of quick Christmas gifts I will make this year.











I planned on starting a new quilt today with the fabrics I bought the other day (which by the way are not actually Christmas Fabrics -- they're by Terry Clothier Thompson, her Oak and Reel line). Shown below. The middle fabric is actually a really pretty tan (it looks pink on my computer at the moment). I did write out what I need to cut for this project and it is waiting on the cutting table.


Anyway, instead of cutting the fabrics, I spent most of the day cleaning up the sewing room. I did iron the fabrics and ironed and put away two fabrics I bought from JoAnn's yesterday to be used as backings. I don't know why I bought them -- there really is a big difference in quality -- so I will use them on quilted wall hangings or something that won't get as much wear as a regular quilt. I did use my 50% off coupon there yesterday to buy the rest of a roll of Warm & Natural batting - 11-3/4 yards. I don't need batting at the moment, but know I will always use it and ya can't beat the price!

Back to the day's doings: I also listed my ufo's and flimsies that I can find at the moment. I need to keep better track of what is waiting to be worked on and what and where finished products are. I didn't list the projects I have kitted up (meaning cut the fabrics for but haven't started). And I found a bunch of orphan blocks I didn't know I had, but I'm not counting them either, or any of the projects I have waiting as leader/enders. I'm going to join Stashbuster's UFO Challenge for 2008 -- both to keep me focused on finishing and to force myself to keep track. I'm going to try to add my list to my sidebar (computer challenged - so wish me luck!).
I've also joined my guild's Nickel Squares exchange for 2008 (took last year off), so will need to get busy cutting squares each month for that. And I'm going to keep my ongoing project of pressing scraps and filing them in their bins out so I can clean out the baskets and bags I've stuffed them in. I did add some 2" strips and squares to one of the leader/ender bags today, so I have made some progress there.
Next on the day's list is to put away the last of the fall quilts and decorations and put up the last of the Christmas/winter quilts and table toppers. I hope to put up my tree tonight or tomorrow -- I bought a new twig tree this year and can't wait to put it up!

Gratitudes:
Spending a cold/sleeting/icy day in the warm house playing in the sewing room.
Getting organized.

3 comments :

Silverthimble said...

I love the table runner and candle mat! I am curious what pattern you are going to use those three gorgeous fabrics on--I also have three fabrics in the wings looking for a pattern! :)

Cher said...

way to finish up those projects Joanne! the new fabric looks yummy.
and nice to spend time cleaning up-I think you will do great on the ufo challenge.

Lynn Dykstra said...

That border fabric of the runner is beautiful