Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Treasure


At my dear sister-in-law's funeral, her kids asked me if I would like to have her treadle sewing machine. Of course, I said yes! (I thought her daughter would keep it, but she didn't want it). Turns out that it was actually Bill's mother's sewing machine (Bill and his siblings are in their 80's). We went down today and picked it up, had lunch with Jean's son, Ken, and his other sister, Anne. Ken has the dubious pleasure of being the executor of her estate, so they are in the process of cleaning out her condo, etc. He would have been extremely happy if Bill and I had backed up the truck and loaded it up with a whole bunch of other "stuff", but sorry, that didn't happen! LOL He did stick a wooden pump to put in my flower bed on the truck, though!

I still need to clean up this treadle (I have another one that I bought a year or so ago -- but it isn't the family heirloom I consider this), and I want to find out this baby's birthdate, too. I can tell you that I will treasure it always, and will expect my daughter to send it on down through the generations.

Gratitudes:
Kenny looks great and hopefully is still in remission (he was diagnosed with lymphoma and leukemia a couple of years ago). Jean should be proud of her son -- he turned out to be a treasure himself.
Visiting with Anne again.
Family heirlooms.

11 comments :

Gail said...

You may already know this, but there is a little plate on the right as you face the machine, near the treadle belt. If you get the number off of it
I can look it up and tell you how old it is. You can do that yourself if you have the charts.

Carol said...

It is beautiful! What a treasure!

Tazzie said...

What a lovely machine, something to really treasure.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

~Bren~ said...

The machine is beautiful. What a treasure for sure! Let us know if you find out the "birthdate".

Cher said...

oh this machine is such a beauty! It's so wonderful you get to have it and will enjoy it so much.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is a beauty!!!

Silverthimble said...

You have a treasure there! It is even more special that it is a family heirloom! May you be flooded with pleasant memories when you use it!

Elaine Adair said...

Such a pretty little thing!

Your blue block is so nice - wish I could be inspired to do more applique and embroidery!

YankeeQuilter said...

What a beautiful machine...I love the sound the they make as you sew.

Lucy said...

What a beauty!! And so special because it was from family.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

How lucky for you that you know the story behind this machine - maybe you should type it up and stick it in the drawer - I have one of these machines too, but don't know anything at all about its history.

Cheers!

Evelyn