Saturday, February 03, 2007

Playing with AJ

This is what I was doing yesterday morning -- playing with AJ -- before we went with Mommy to her first ultrasound. Still too early to tell whether it's a boy or girl (think pink!), but definitely one baby and a strong heartbeat -- could actually see her heart beating. Steph is probably going to have to go in once a week for an injection to prevent pre-term labor for the next 24 weeks. Bit of a pain, but let's face it -- we are lucky that AJ is so advanced for being born 10 weeks early, and we can sure do without having to leave the baby at the nicu for 5 weeks too.





And this is what I was doing today. I finally got all the borders on the Depression Block quilt (going to have to come up with a different name for it, though). The amazing thing about this is that I designed the borders in EQ6 and the final pieced border fits perfectly ;-)! And all the hst's turn the corners in the right directions, too. Now I need suggestions for quilting it. I'm going to take the top with me on Monday to my first longarm class and get some opinions there, too. I'm really pleased with how it turned out though. The binding is the same as the dark blue inner border, and I stay-stitched the pieced border to help keep it from stretching before I get it finished and bound.

I have a large corned beef brisket simmering on the stove -- it's going to be corned beef and cabbage for us non-Irish tonight. Tomorrow will be Reuben sandwiches while we watch the Bears win the Super Bowl!

Gratitudes:

1. The pieced border went together relatively easily today!

2. Corned beef and cabbage because we've both been hungry for it.

3. A warm house and fireplace in the kitchen because it is below 0° outside, not counting the wind chill.

4. A beautiful new baby in no hurry to greet the world.


12 comments :

Gail said...

there is nothing depressing about THAT quilt- its wonderful. I'd give it a home in a heartbeat.

Melanie said...

Beautiful grandson---beautiful quilt... have fun tomorrow...

Debby Brown said...

The quilt is just beautiful.

Have fun at your longarm class -- they are always good days.

Pam said...

Love your borders! I love pieced borders, they just add so much to a quilt. With all that wonderful color I would call it an Expression Quilt!!!

That AJ...his smile never ceases to make me smile!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love the border on this! It does look wonderful! And I'll think pink for you!

Shelina said...

I love that quilt - the colors are fabulous and the border is just splendid!

Sweet P said...

Your Depression (I'd call it Happiness) quilt is fantastic!

I've never heard of getting shots to prevent labor. I'll keep Steph in my prayers for a safe pregnancy.

ForestJane said...

Ohhh, your depression block quilt came out beautifully! And I agree with you that it needs a different name, but no suggestions here.

And I'll keep my fingers crossed that the shots work!

Passionate Quilter said...

That quilt really turned out great! Don't ya love it when things turn out the way you plan? :) and what a cute little guy--and some prayers for the new little one on the way for a long stay in the womb!

bingo~bonnie said...

I'd call it your anti-depression quilt ;) I love what you added aroudn it for the boarders.

I think sometimes we are in such a hurry to just finish a quilt, but the boarders really do make the quilt! :)

I will think pink for you!!! :) Glad to hear that they are gonna be able to give your daughter shots to prevent early labor. When is she due? - I will have to go back and read maybe to find out - but I'm currious b/c I am expecting in mid June ;) ~Bonnie

tami said...

Your quilt is absolutely stunning. I love the border treatment and I would say it is anything but depressing.

Sarah said...

Love the finished quilt - have been watching it for some time to see how it would finish and the border really makes the quilt. Can't wait to make a mini version - maybe in batiks?