Monday, September 18, 2006

Confession Time

I blew my self-imposed fabric budget out of the water today! If you'll recall, I decided to give myself a $50 a month fabric budget. I spent half of it 9 days ago on 3 yards of fabric. I spent the other half and another two months + worth on fabric today! It's all Judy's fault though. See, she posted a picture of October's One Hour a Day Quilt. I like it. I pulled piles and piles (indeed) of fabric from the shelves to make it. I found a fabric I've had for a few (probably 5) years and decided it would be perfect for the background of the alternate blocks. Then I found a fabric for the dark in that block -- but....I don't have enough of that fabric. I do have plenty of fall fabrics for the leaves, and some backgrounds for them, but really, a background that would blend with the other background fabric would be much better -- I have some, but not enough. So, I spent a couple of hours this morning refolding fabrics and re-stacking them neatly, but have not put any of them away yet. The more I thought about it and the more I fondled the fabrics, the more I knew I needed a quilt store trip. (This is going to be a busy week where I won't be able to do much sewing at all -- so I needed the quilt store trip as a mental health day, also!)
If you're still with me...called my quilt buddy, we decided to blow off quilt guild tonight and just spend the afternoon at the quilt store instead. Oh....it was heaven! My favorite store -- Sew Many Antiques in Pearl City, IL -- the owner was working there today, so that was a plus! I found both the dark fabric I needed and another background that goes really well -- which means I'm really going to doubly enjoy doing the Hour a Day Quilt.
Also found two other fabrics that I had to buy! This because, as I was folding my fabrics this morning I had an epiphany! I have tons of fabrics, but more than half are half yards, fat quarters and smaller. I really don't have lots of yardage fabrics any more. So, now when I buy, it'll be back to buying two or three yards of one fabric instead of 10 or 20 fat quarters! I just need a well-rounded stash, that's all! And really, I'm going to make most of the quilt with stash fabrics!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Gratitudes:
1. A wonderful quilters' mental health day today.
2. My stash and my stash enhancement.
3. No complaints about my thrown-together quick dinner.

14 comments :

mary said...

sew many antiques is one of my favorite stores. I grew up in nw IL (God's country) and get to Freeport weekly to visit my parents in a nursing home. Have you been to the store in ORangeville... the name escapes me right now. Mary

Melanie said...

If it makes you happy... do it. It's lots better than spending money on things and having nothing to show for it....
Have fun.
Melanie

Libby said...

It all makes perfect sense to me. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Melzie said...

Yay I cant wait to see pics :) xoxo melzie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

If you are going to put the effort into making a stunning quilt, I really think that you should have fabrics that you enjoy working with. Looking forward to seeing your fall quilt.

Cheers!

Evelyn

quiltpixie said...

I hope you're happy with the quilt when its done :-)

May Britt said...

I think you are allowed to buy fabric to compleete a quilt. And you was short of fabric for the one hour quilt, so......
Me too is on a low budget now but last saturday I just had to buy some fat quarters of the new Moda fabric I saw. I do not know what to do with it yet, but I just had to have them. Enjoy your autumn quilt when you start doing it. I am to joining to sew this quilt.

Gail said...

I'm going to have to do the same. I'm sure I'll be able to use some of my FQs for the leaves, but I don't have enough larger pieces for backgrounds. I think I'll just copy and save your explanation to post after my next trip to the LQS! LOL

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what fun you must have had. Never been to that store, but shopped at it at shows before!

Dona said...

What a fun day...am off today on a LQS mission with my good friend.

Jenni said...

That's a great story - I'd stick to it too! I like the way you think. Fancy going from being on a budget, to blowing 3 months worth in 1 month, then on to buying bigger pieces of fabric in future. You go Girl!

Mary Johnson said...

That's one of the reasons I like scrappy backgrounds - I usually have enough smaller pieces that work together. Of course, I happen to prefer scrappy backgrounds.

McIrish Annie said...

just catching up with you.. love your Applique quilt! What girl wouldn't??!

don't beat yourself up too much about the fabric budget.

Tazzie said...

Your stash sounds just like mine, I have lots of small pieces, but not lots of yardage. Sounds like a good reason to go to the quilt store to me!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)