Friday, May 26, 2006

Another UFO bites the dust



I know why I have so many ufo's that are just waiting to be quilted -- they're ugly! This was a test quilt for a pattern I designed. By the time I perfected the pattern and finished about 6 of these, I was sick to death of the pattern! I had the flowered print for years -- I loved it, but didn't have a good fabric that went with any of the colors in the print. I was trying to use up stash, so managed to match the gold to the gold in the print -- but after I got it put together, the gold was just overpowering. That's how it got to the ufo pile -- my story and I'm sticking to it! The choice was either throw the whole thing out or quilt it quick and bind it. I hate throwing out quilts even if they're ugly! LOL Someone will love it, or the dog will!

I have two table runners to quilt and finish, too -- just as ugly, if not more! vbg

11 comments :

Laurie said...

Joanne...we all have these quilts in our stash...you are a brave soul to share them! LOL
Hugs
Laurie

ForestJane said...

I have a problem using big florals too - not sure exactly where they fit best if not in a border - and you see that all the time.

Hanne said...

I can not say I like busy flower prints, but I once did too - and I am applauding you finishing your Ufos ! :-)
These days the busy prints goes in the backing here.

Finn said...

Yup, been there and done that..another "what was I thinking" moment! It's not soooo bad..being done is good!!

I love the tulips quilt in the post below, but there are already so many comments, I'm telling you up here...LOL Glad you are back in form...quilting and finishing..*S*

Vicky said...

Oh, good job on finishing up that pesky UFO! My philosophy is that every single quilt will find a home and be loved, no matter what it looks like! It's finished and you probably learned something from it, so that makes it a success!!

Patti said...

Well done! It's great to finish a UFO even if it's ugly. That's the way I feel about the one I just finished. I'll donate it to charity and someone will love it.

Ann said...

Isn't charity a great thing? Our guild donates quilts to the local hospice all the time. What is ugly to one is beautiful to some one else. So, wtg on finishing a ufo and keep up the good work!

Bonnie said...

The pattern is great. I don't think the quilt is ugly. The colors are just a little off balance. As you said, the gold overpowers the print. Maybe tea dying the whole quilt would even out the colors. But I'm a firm believer all quilts are wonderful, and your pattern is just that.

Laurie Ann said...

Those are the hard ones to finish. The ones that don't turn out like we expected. Good job!

Mary Johnson said...

It's not really ugly but I understand why its not one of your favorites.

I always have quilts that don't turn out just like I'd like them to but the ugliest quilt I ever made became a treasure for an elderly relative. Her family even had the quilt used as a backdrop for her picture on her 90th birthday.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Ok, the gold is a bit overpowering, but someone will love it! I love the design!