This has been an interesting week. We've been having 90° temps here and are in a drought, so Tuesday afternoon a storm came through. We got about 3/4" of rain and last night it was 47°! Welcome to the midwest! Today was cloudy and a little bit of rain -- great day for quilting!
Yesterday, after I ran my weekly errands, a quilty friend and I went to a nearby town to the quilt store to pick up our first "Buck a Block" block. This is a bom using Thangles™. The blocks are only 8" unfinished, so we'll be adding 2½" sashing strips to finish them. We have a choice of making a small, medium or large quilt, but I'm only going to make the small one -- I think it's 50 x 60. I picked up the block and the Thangles™, 1 yard of fabric for the sashing -- using my own stash for the cornerstones and haven't decided on borders, because she didn't have the fabric for the borders I want. Also bought a cone of thread. I spent about $29 - $12.98 of which was for thread! What I'm finally getting to........my friend bought her block, the Thangles™, some fabric for sashing, some fabric for cornerstones, and the border fabric and then bought a couple of extra yards of the border fabric for her backing! I almost had a cow right there in the store! She has tons and tons, and tons of fabric at home - plenty of which she could use to make a backing for any quilt! She "justified" it to me by saying she'll give the quilt to her DS and DDIL as a gift and she wanted the backing to match! She spent about $55! I've been thinking about this all day and I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I cannot convert every quilter I know to using stash and scraps! I know that I'm going on a fabric diet from now until at least the first of the year and I'm going to shame my friend into doing it too! vbg
Today I spent the entire day playing in the sewing room! Did my Buck a Block block, also did a second one with fabrics from my stash for another quilt -- both of these quilts are being done with Christmas fabrics -- everyone needs a Christmas quilt or two! The second one I made using "Triangles on a Roll™" that I've had in my sewing stuff for years -- made up umpteen of the HST with them, so shouldn't have to make many, if any, more over the next 12 months!
Oh, and yes, cut the leftover fabric strips into 2½" squares for the scrap bins!
Then, I pinned two quilts -- both wall hangings to machine quilt; started on one, hope to have it done tomorrow and start on the second one. Think I'll be in finishing mode for awhile -- I have a few tablerunners and covers and wall hangings that are piling up just waiting to be quilted, so I need to spend some time getting them finished. Oh -- and I used old fabric sitting around here waiting to be used for the backings. I have a whole stack of fabrics I pulled from my stash sitting on the bottom shelf of the cabinet just waiting to be backings -- and I like to piece my backings from that stash, too!
Okay, off my rant on the backings issue now! Guess I haven't quite accepted the fact that my friends can't do scrappy or not match their backings to the fronts!