Friday, April 03, 2020

Quilting up a storm!

I was busy today putting the binding on a quilt for a nursing home and realized that I needed another table behind my machine.  I bought the table for my Janome 9450 last fall, and I love it, except it's not wide enough behind the machine.  So, today I took the table I've had near the longarm that I use as a worktable, and adjusted the height and it works great!
I put the binding on this quilt on the machine and used a decorative stitch for the first time on this machine to stitch it down.  Kinda fun, definitely not perfect.  We've always split the work - I do the quilting and Nancy has always done the binding on the machine - so I thought I'd give it a try.  Probably once this pandemic is over and I get loaded with quilts again, I'll be giving the binding job back to Nancy!
And I pieced the next top for a nursing home quilt.  These are using charm packs I've had laying around (I buy them, then don't know what to do with them!).  I used a Kaffe Fassett fabric as the alternate block.  I'm liking piecing with these bright colors.  
Then I had to stop and clean up my messes!  Way too many fabrics and charm packs and everything else laying around and getting mixed together -- you know I won't be able to find something because it's stuffed with something else, so I sorted stuff on the table and vacuumed the floors.
I have a jelly roll of bright fabrics that I pulled out of the mess, so now I'm thinking of what to do with it in the way of another small quilt.  Brings to mind the Nickel Quilts book by Pat Speth and Charlene Thode.  I'll work on it tonight - in my mind!
Until next time.....Blessings.  And hope everyone is safe and healthy.
 


1 comment :

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Nickel quilts! Now that’s an oldie!