Sunday, January 03, 2016

Making some progress

I've been working a little bit with the donated fabric and the new cube organizer.  The top row of cubes has scraps and strips and squares that I've cut.  I got a little overwhelmed with all of that, so they aren't in any order, just basically thrown together.

 The two bins on top of the organizer are full of cut squares for the group at church to piece quilts together -- one has 3-1/2" squares for kids quilts and the other has 5" squares for homeless quilts.

Have you ever cut up your leftovers into squares and strips and saved them ala Bonnie Hunter style?  I used to, and over the years gave away everything I had saved because I didn't use them after I did all that organizing.  So, when we started prepping to make quilts at church -- there's a few quilters and about 10 non-quilters, so we had to teach the non-quilters what to do -  I started cutting squares and strips again.  Well, that's all well and good, but again, I wasn't using the 2-1/2" squares or anything else.  So the cubes are full of scraps and cut squares and strips.  
 I pulled a stack of 2-1/2" squares and started making 2-patches.  They will become 4 patches and maybe eventually, I'll add them to the 16-patch blocks I've had in the stash for years now and may become a quilt eventually!
I'm going to work with one cube at a time now to deal with leftovers and scraps as I go, and hopefully it'll all be organized eventually and all become quilts for the homeless.
Until next time....blessings. 

No comments :