Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Another update

So, been missing in action for a few days for a fairly good reason!  I'm having surgery tomorrow on my ugly hand.  
 I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my hands and my thumbs have been giving me more trouble than usual.  It's making doing any hand work very difficult, so it's time to take care of it.  The surgeon will be cutting the arthritis out of that huge thumb joint, put in a couple of pins and a screw and fuse the thumb and then at the joint that joins the wrist, he will cut out the arthritis and replace it with tendon, so it will no longer be bone on bone.  
Two weeks in a bandage, and then 6 to 10 weeks in a cast followed by therapy.  Realistically we're looking at 3-6 months of not having a left thumb!  I am right handed, but you'd be surprised how much you use your "other" hand.  Dressing should be fun!
So, if I don't post for awhile, it's because it's a pain in the butt to type with one hand!  
I've had to be off my anti-inflammatory meds for the past week, so I'm in a bit of pain, so not so worried about the surgery, but want it over with so I can get back on my meds!

Until next time....blessings. (And I'm blessed that they can actually do something for me to eliminate the need for cortisone injections - so happy about that!)

1 comment :

Churn Dash said...

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

Hugs

Helen