Thursday, July 16, 2015

More Landscaping

A few more pics of the landscaping redux.  We got more rain this morning and are expecting another thunderstorm this afternoon.  My sump pump kicked in last night, so the ground is pretty much saturated.  But, after two very long winters in a row, I am not going to complain about the other seasons!  I hate winter; it seems I spend way too much time inside with cabin fever, and it's very depressing.  So, even though we haven't had too much sun - I'm enjoying every minute of the spring/summer.  And the bonus is that after I spent a fortune having this landscaping done, I have city water, so my bills have not gone up since God is sending plenty of free stuff for me!

Anyway, this is another shot of the gravel pit on the south side of the house.

 And this is the after shot - 7 Pink Diamond Hydrangeas, mulched and a curving plot of sod.
 This is the before shot going around the corner to the back of the house.  Besides gravel, one lonely patch of peach colored iris.
 And the after going around the house, 3 spreading yews and the back plot is filled with 4 pink peonies, 3 Black Eyed Susans, a Purple Siberian Iris, more Catmint, and Purple Salvia.
 And a shot of the deck along the back of the house - before.  I stained the deck myself last August -- it was originally just the grayed original wood.  I think the former owner only applied Thompson's Water Seal on it and after all these years, it wasn't looking good.  So I went to my trusty Home Depot (I'm on a first-name basis with them!), bought the proper stain for both spindles and deck floor (two different items); power washed the deck and used deck wash on the floor, let it dry good, did some sanding of the spindles and top rail, and then put two coats on both the spindles and the deck floor.  It has held up well for the first year at least!  And I can tell you it was a lot of work, but I feel pretty proud of myself for doing it by myself!
 And after, including a better shot of the back of the house.  This section along the deck also contains some of the Autumn Joy Sedum they saved, more Catmint and Salvia.
 And this is a Burning Bush that was already here.  The mowers manage to weed whack around it, and I don't like the fact that it was trimmed to look like a tree, when it is supposed to be a bush.
 So, I had the landscapers remove the sod and add mulch and eventually we think it will come back from the bottom to fill in as a bush -- in theory!  It's easier for the mowers to go around it anyway.
I'll try to come back tomorrow for more pics!
Until next time....blessings.

No comments :