Thursday, January 03, 2008

Today

Latest news: We were at the hospital this morning and they took the bandage off permanently. He has a large C incision with a railroad track of staples in it! He is doing "phenomenal." In fact, he is going home tomorrow! He will be recuperating at home for a week before he comes back to have the staples removed. He has an appointment with the radiologist for next Tuesday and they are making appointments with the specific doctor at UW-Madison. This will be where he starts -- they have a team approach there and we believe he will be in good hands.

I can't tell you how wonderful you have all been. It has been exceptionally great to hear from people who have already gone through this very same diagnosis and prognosis and are already 3 years into remission, or ten years beyond the initial surgery. It's something when you read about it in research on the 'net -- it is something else entirely to actually hear from real people. I told Steve about some of the comments and emails I have received and he is really cheered by it. So, thanks from all of us!

We had to take JR (Jack Russell terrier) to the vet today -- he has an anterior cruciate ligament tear. We will be taking him to our first choice vet on Monday, and if he has to have surgery, we'll have him do it or get a recommendation. May not seem important in the scheme of things, but we are a family of dog lovers, and we hate to see them suffer too. Steve & Kim have 3 dogs that have been going crazy because Steve isn't home, so they'll be real happy tomorrow!
Gratitudes:
We are ever thankful for the prayers and good wishes for Steve and our family.
The surgeon and her nurse practitioner -- they are really wonderful.
Family and Friends

12 comments :

Melanie said...

Hey-- I think you are Wonder Woman -- don't let anyone tell you different.

Angie said...

You go, Steve! There are lots of people out here in blogland cheering you on!! I can just imagine how happy everyone at your house (including the 4-leggeds) will be to have you home. It's just so wonderful that you're headed there tomorrow!! And Joanne, I'm so sorry about JR---I know exactly what you mean about the fur babies being in pain. I'd rather suffer than have my 'boys' in pain. Hope JR is feeling better really quick! Quilted hugs, my friend!

Kristie said...

That is great news! I'm glad he is coming home. We are all still praying for you and your whole family.
Kristie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Keep positive! Wonderful news that Steve is headed home to his family and dogs! I hope all goes well for JR too.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Jen said...

Yeah Steve!!! Whooooo!!! Ok, when I read Madison I was curious how far you all would be traveling....northern IL...I didn't realize you were that close to me! I'm on the West Side of Milwaukee. Should you need some quilt shop therapy of your own, I suggest Mill House Quilts.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I can hear such positivity coming from your post...that's the spirit!! Sounds like Steve is a fighter and with such great support he's bound to recover. Still keeping you in thought.

Jane

Carol said...

What happy news...so glad that Steve is coming home. He'll get better faster at home, especially with fur children around. Good luck with the vet. They can do unbelieveable things...our Zack had both his knees redone...one in Aug and the other in Oct. He blew them out chasing little lizards.LOL! He's doing great now!

Granny said...

I'm still praying for all of you!

Mary Johnson said...

How wonderful to hear from others who have fought and are winning their battle with this cancer. Glad that your son gets to head home soon.

Chesty had surgery for the same problem a couple years ago. He was so pitiful! Here he is after surgery: http://maryquilts.blogspot.com/2006/01/chesty.html

Anonymous said...

JT,
Wonderful news that Steve is going home....he will definitely heal better there. Sounds like the team will be a great one! Continuing prayers for everyone and a special one for JR too. We do love our fur kids!

Anonymous said...

steve and your entire family are in my prayers... Love and Good thoughts coming your way too. The University hospitals are wonderful.

Heal quickly and fully Steve.

Mary aka Oleqwilter

dutchcomfort said...

Connie W. asked us to pray for your son Steve. I’ve read your posts and I sure will pray for your son. I hope he will fight this battle succesfully and will recover. Dutch hugs. Take care!