Tuesday, June 20, 2006

You know you're getting old when.....


you vaguely remember making the quilt, but you can't for the life of you remember who you made it for. Must have been a girl baby -- pink binding! Pretty sure I made it sometime in the last couple years. Maybe DGS's babysitter's new daughter? Who knows -- I may drive myself crazy til I figure it out, though!

Had guild last night. Claire Powers was the speaker. She's from the Rockford, IL area. And she does the most exquisite hand applique I have ever seen. She does hand applique exclusively, only piecing to put the quilt tops together or for a guild challenge occasionally. Most of her quilts include birds and usually flowers, and she designs all of them herself. Absolutely stunning work. I was in a workshop taught by her about 5 years ago. She doesn't do needleturn -- she prepares each piece as she goes along -- using index cards and glue for some shapes, etc. She does her trees by cutting and appliqueing an inch at a time and the tiny branches are amazing. Anyway -- thoroughly enjoyed her program last night.

Gratitudes:
1. Both AJ and Briana were here for Father's Day. What fun we had.
2. Aaron passed the driver's test in prep for his new job.
3. I have two projects to do in the sewing room before I get back to appliqueing the borders of the double four patch.
4. Even though I'm intimidated after seeing Claire's applique work, I think I'm going to like what I've got designed for the said double four patch!
5. Quiet dinner for two at home tonight.

9 comments :

dot said...

Very nice baby quilt. I am sure you will find just the right baby to give it to.

Laurie said...

Joanne,
Nice quilt! The 4P and 9P make for nice, easy, and appealing quilts don't they?
Hugs
Laurie

The Calico Cat said...

That presentation sounds neat. Does she have a website?

Melanie said...

Hey - It's Wednesday, looked on the weather map. Looks like you're getting stormed on... Good quilting weather, right?!?!?
Have fun - (hope the electricity holds out)
Melanie

quiltpixie said...

so the label doesn't say who it was for (grinning as I too have more than a few like you describe....)

ForestJane said...

I like the colors of your nine patches - are they solids or very tiny prints?

I'd be tempted to do some embroidery or machine stitches in the white areas... :)

Hanne said...

Lovely 9-patch quilt. I really like your double 4-patch quilt too !

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a fun program! I think I"ve seen some of her quilts. I bet those are the applique ones they always show and talk about at Farm Fest. I wish I had talent like that!

Mary Johnson said...

I love nine patch quilts. So simple but really cute.